2.25.2012

Something to Talk About




monday, i headed to mary's house expecting to have a simple moru lesson. what i got was so much more.

greeting me with her larger than life smile, she hugged and welcomed me as a friend. we sat side by side under the shade of the mango tree, and she began by teaching me some basic vocabulary for fruits, vegetables, and some animals. i learned important phrases like "give me a mango" and "i want 5 goats." no doubt that will come in handy someday.

mary lives next to the borehole, a gathering place for women collecting water. so several times during our lesson, someone we knew would walk over and greet us or mary would shout for them to come over. they were all ladies from our english class, and all showed enthusiasm for my learning moru. an hour passed, and my language teachers were now 6 in number, each wanting to teach me something new.

then i pulled out a small photo album with a few pictures of my family. now that gave us something to talk about! the pictures proved to be a big hit and fueled our conversation for another hour. they loved seeing my family, and especially loved seeing my lezo (twin). they have nicknamed me "Ndi nwa" which is a name they give to the firstborn twin. i learned how to say "this is the baby of my sister" and "my twin sister is pregnant."

they passed around my pictures a few more times, with big smiles, gesturing and commenting on how beautiful my mother was. we laughed and talked some more, and they shared about their own family.

what a sweet moment. i felt God's care washing over me, like a refreshing rain on a hot sudan day. he knew just what i needed. i often feel the distance of home, and the ones i love seem a world away. and yet, as i sat there sharing this huge piece of me with these women, i tasted the comfort of home.

mary and i ended our time singing moru hymns together. the words to "blessed assurance" echoed in my head as i biked home.

i am thankful for deeper connections, and a very tangible reminder that God knows my every desire and meets my every need. for now, at least, home doesn't seem so far away.

4 comments:

  1. Ah, what sweet blessings are in store for you. God is gathering a group for you to minister to, and to minister to you. I am praying for you and , of course, missing your fellowship here. Knowing you are right where God would have you, to His glory, brings peace and joy. Waiting to hear more about your Sudnanese "small group". Love from your Birmingham small group!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thank God for you Melissa for your commitment to live in South Sudan especial my home town. Thank you so much for teaching the women and giving your time to learn from them as well. I believe you're the true example of Jesus to our people. Jesus left heaven and come to live with us. As you left United States and went to be with my people in the place where there is no electricity, running water, no good road, no good building. May God bless you, protect you, give you wisdom and knowledge so that you can educate and share the gospel around the world.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa,

    I just LOVE this post. You are so right! God does know and care about EVERY need! My sweet little Anna is on the porch drawing masterpieces and came in and asked if we could "sale" them. I asked her what we would do with the money and she said we would give it to people who need it! I hope she grows up to be just like you. I know the Lord sees your sacrifice and also the love that He has given you for these people.

    Please know you are loved, missed and prayed for. I love you!
    Merideth

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just read your post about your time with Mary and friends learning Moru. I am so proud of you!! How exciting to learn their language as many of them are learning English. I thank God whenever I think of you- for the privilege of knowing you and seeing what God is doing through you in Sudan. Bob has been working with Bullen and they will be traveling to Africa together in May. Bullen thinks that they will see you while they are there. I sure hope so. I'll send details as the time gets closer.

    Love you lots and miss you, sweet friend. Praying that God will bless you this week with special encouragement and a great nugget of truth from the Word to make you smile!

    Big hugs to you, precious one (does that remind you of Kay Arthur??)
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete