10.19.2012

Only Wanna Be With You

these days, i've been missing home. wanting to see familiar faces of friends, be with family, to squeeze on my nephews. i wish time would freeze and they wouldn't grow. i wish my africa world was somehow closer to all the ones i love. if only i could drag the entire north american continent across the atlantic to settle nice and close to africa, maybe it would solve all of my problems. or maybe this sense of longing will always remain, and the focus only changes.

even so, i am grateful that God continues to open my eyes to see his abundance of blessings in the here and now. i'm thankful for a brief, yet sweet, reunion with an old friend, who actually lives on the same continent!


i'm thankful for my growing relationships with young women at okari. i love our hair-braiding, tea-sipping, language learning chats. i love that they ask about dominick and camden (i think they're aware it's my favorite topic). our interactions are becoming more familiar despite my slow moru and their lack of english.


though it doesn't quite compare to holding my own nephews, snuggling with this little guy was just the bonus of an already great day.


and on the days when i only want to be with the ones so far away, i'm thankful to be surrounded and loved by my moru community, and mindful of the joy in being exactly where God wants me, near to Him.

"But for me it is good to be near to God.  I have made the Lord my refuge, that I may tell of all your works."     Psalm 73:28

1 comment:

  1. that "little" guy doesn't look so "little" - good for his mama! And this makes me miss you and our going-a-visiting even more! I've tried texting you, but to no avail...so this comment will have to suffice...love you!

    ReplyDelete