10.25.2010

Where Everybody Knows Your Name

my friend, cecilia, is 21 years old. she is a wonderful cook and has a great sense of humor. though her english is not great, my moru is far worse. she tries to teach me new words and mostly laughs as i attempt to repeat them. our conversations are limited but i am thankful for a sudanese friend.
i have enjoyed getting to know more people as my time here comes to a close. it is encouraging to see people i know around town, and it especially lifts my spirits when they remember my name. i have been told i have a difficult name to pronounce. the other night, i met cecilia's mother and friends, and they gave me a moru nickname, citi, which literally means to sit. they said they gave me this name because i have come from america to sit with them for some time. i smiled at the feeling that i have now been inducted into the moru club. now, when i see cecilia, she yells "citi!" and introduces me to her friends as "citi."

6 comments:

  1. citi - love it! and love you! can't wait to see you at chrissy!

    lin

    ReplyDelete
  2. too funny!! your new name...do you have pictures with her? heard that your camera broke..one more week and we'll see you! Can't wait to see picts and hear all about it... is she as good a cook as Melinda? what is the weather like over there now, lots of rain still? Hot here, but getting cold in B'ham.. is what we hear... Love ya!

    ReplyDelete
  3. love the nickname! it's perfect! I hope to see you soon!! praying for your last few days and safe travels home. love you!

    Steph

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've loved your posts, Mel. Can't wait to see you, but I know you don't want to leave! Praying your last few days are richly blessed! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love it...I'm sitting here missing my grandmother and days gone by, and missing Sudan and all of you, and wishing I wasn't missing all this time with you while you're there, not to mention your goodbye party. Alas... Have a rompin' good party tomorrow (and don't forget to pull out the robot!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Melissa, I love seeing glimpses of everyday life in Mundri, you write so well and capture so much in your posts. Can't wait to see you and hear about the trip from you in person. Enjoy your last few days and have a good trip home.

    ReplyDelete