9.01.2010

Welcome to Sudan!



i finally reached sudan! after days of flying in airplanes, i have reached my destination. i arrived at MAF and went through "security," which is a small room with one man going through our luggage. i was the only female there and felt a little intimidated at first. but i soon realized they are all in the ministry, being that we are flying with a mission organization. one man was a bishop and one a bible study translator. only 5 of us fit in the aircraft. we eventually take off and i brace myself for the worst. i had built up such anxiety about it that all i could do was pray. i prayed we would be safe, i prayed for good weather, i prayed for wisdom for our pilot, and i prayed i wouldn't throw up. that would just be embarrassing. but turns out, i LOVED it! it was the most amazing experience! africa was so beautiful from way up there. we flew over mountains and valleys and the nile river! we stopped in a small town in southern sudan to drop off medicine. this is when our pilot receives word of potentially bad weather in mundri. so he decides to land in the next town over, which happens to be a 3 hour drive from mundri. our plan is to land there and wait for the team to pick me up and drop off some of their team members who were boarding the plane from there. so we landed, and the next thing i know 5 armed men dressed in camo approach our plane. i was a little intimidated to say the least. i felt safer with all the men and followed their lead down the steps of the plane. however, the armed men were somewhat friendly and welcoming. one of the men i sat next to on the plane leaned over and whispered "welcome to sudan" with a smurk on his face. to be continued...

8 comments:

  1. we Love you so much!!! God has been waking me up at night to pray for you, must be the time difference.. :) Can't wait to hear more and we are so proud of you!!! Wow, you are so brave to have flown on that little plane... can u see me on it?? ha! Mom and Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have to agree, you are SO brave!!! To not be scared and serve God and our world like this!! You are an inspiration Melissa!! I can't wait to hear more!! You will have a following! We will be praying for you!!! - Carina Deshotels (Stallard)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Melissa, This is Angie Garner - my husband, Alan, is your cousin! Debbie Bowman's son :o) I found your blog off of your mom's Facebook page and am going to follow your trip through your blog. Be safe, do good work and return home safe! Glad to be able to "see" you this way!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you enjoyed your plane ride. When you get home we will have to get Mr. Coggins to take you up in his "Yellow Sea Plane" and see our beautiful Lake County! LOL

    We love that you are blogging and will continue to keep you in our prayers.
    Enjoy your time....I know you are a blessing to those around you.
    Love much,
    The Munns

    ReplyDelete
  5. oh my! what a blessing to hear your heart and know the peace the Lord is giving you as you follow His lead.
    You will be in my prayers.
    Love,
    Suzanne H.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi wonderful granddaughter...I am going to try my hand at this blogging ...We are so happy you are safe and sound in Sudan..so proud of your dedication to the Lord Jesus and know you will make a difference shining your light there..love you so much, grams and grandad

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love you Melly! I'm so proud of you!

    Lin

    p.s. how adorbs that your grams is blogging?!

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is Chris your cousin Melissa. Although you are not in the Darfur part of Sudan. I will pray for you safety ever day. Send pictures! to me on my face book or my email. You know I'm always intrested of the world and the amazing continent of Africa. remember they saying TIA "This is Africa" I'm going to read you blogg alot. I hope you mission very well there and help alot of people on your travels. Love you
    -Christopher Blount

    ReplyDelete